Monday, October 29, 2007

MY HYPOTHESIS--

Today’s standard of excellence is mediocrity.

(Note: In recent years I have observed a decline in the quality of many products, services, and performance in general. Postings under this title from time to time will explore this hypothesis.)


The following is one of those times:

I ordered play tickets from Malabar Farm over the phone recently. I needed two. They cost $15 for the play only, or $30 if you chose to eat there. I asked for the play only; 2 each at $15. Total cost $30. Simple.

Nah.

There was an envelope waiting for me when I arrived for the play; just as the guy on the phone said there would be. It had my name as Carrie Woosi and it included two tickets, all right—the $30 each variety and my credit card had been bludgeoned for exactly double what I ordered.

The only thing this clown managed to record correctly was the credit card number.

And, standing right there beside me when this extra drama unfolded was another customer who had just endured an identically pathetic experience.

Apologetic folks at the ticket counter assured me my refund of $30 would be made by the good folks at the playhouse in Mansfield. (It was).

Fortunately the show, performed by the staff of the Mansfield Playhouse, was done with substantial professionalism; something the Malabar Farm telephone order taker needs to work on.

No comments: