Monday, July 21, 2008


MOTH PORTRAIT—

Two Luna Moths were loitering near my front door Sunday morning. These marvelous critters made their first appearance on the blog June 8, 2007. Take a peek there for the story of their very, very brief life and a link you can click for more information.

Today’s very close picture was done with my Canon digital SLR camera and the Canon 100 mm f 2.8 macro lens, all operated in the manual mode. Exposure was 1/50th second, f 2.8 at ISO 400.

The early morning shade was not desirable lighting so I lit the picture with a hand-held, double A battery powered, LED Mini Maglight held high and to the left of the moth. That gave us the bright and cheery feel and amplified the marvelous visual texture in the critter’s wing fur.

I was leaning against the house to steady the flashlight (and myself) with my left hand and with the camera lens pre-focused at about a foot simply moved the camera back and forth slowly until I achieved a sharp image in the viewfinder.

By the way, here’s a quick way to navigate the blog archives. In the upper left corner you will note a search box. Type Luna Moth in that box and click search. In just a few seconds you will be taken to the old story.

No comments: