Tuesday, August 18, 2009

ARNOLD H. 'Whitey' LOVE
June 14, 1922 - August 14, 2009

When I got home from the burial of my uncle Whitey Monday I heard a rumbling clap of thunder in the far distance.

I found myself wondering if he had not just arrived at the Pearly Gates and told one of his whoppers.

That noise could have been God rolling around on Heaven’s floor in a giant fit of laughter.

Whitey was like that, with all due respect to his Maker, of course.

He was 87 when cancer stole him from us. He was a veteran airplane driver with the US Army Air Corps in World War II. Needless to say, as a pilot myself, I enjoyed being regaled by his lively tales. Often tens of dozens of them. Often in one lively session.

It didn’t matter that he was mostly blind in later years. That was a mere nuisance while he went on with the mirth of living and and the joy of caring.

Col. Arnold Whitey Love, USAF Ret., of Altoona, Pennsylvania the world is a better place because you were here.

Somehow I know you can now see my respectful and loving salute.

No comments: