Saturday, January 30, 2010

This story started with an email I recently sent to square dance partners I often travel with—confessing I am usually armed while in their company. They wouldn’t know that because I am licensed to, and carry, a concealed handgun.

I didn’t know quite what response I might get.

It was positive far beyond my best expectations.





Square Dancing friends (from left in the small photo) Sue Brooks, Don and Roberta Karger, Nancy and Mark Meinzer pay careful attention during their 12 hour training class to earn an Ohio license to carry a concealed handgun given by Richard Stark (above) a NRA certified instructor at Bake’s Best Shot in Morrow County.


CONCEALED CARRY—

Just weeks after that fortuitous email two husbands and their wives plus my lady friend were enrolled in concealed carry training and I was along for the day’s adventure because they happened to choose the training facility I had used six years ago and I was welcomed back as an alumnus.

For my lady friend Sue, her decision was astounding to her family. Her daughter said to me via a Facebook comment, “You have my mom carrying a gun! ARE YOU CRAZY??? LOL...”

For Sue, this would be the first time in her life to ever even fire a handgun. Likewise with Roberta and Nancy.

The latter two gals live a somewhat secluded lifestyle, sometimes finding themselves home alone. Whether they ever carry a gun remains to be seen but the training was regarded as being highly desirable in becoming familiar with the safe and effective use of a handgun.


Sue, being a widow, also must rely on herself in those lonely hours. One of the husbands often leaves work in a seedy end of town where you sometimes suffer the discontent of the hair rising on your arm in the darkness.

So, there we were facing 12 hours of coursework with the emphasis on the laws of using lethal force, how handguns work and how to use them safely.

Stark presided over the class of 14 students which included five ladies. I don’t know what he does for a living but it should be in a classroom, somewhere.

The early morning start dissolved into dusk when we moved to the range for the shooting part of the class. Facility owner Dave Baker, also a NRA certified instructor, joined Stark in a very careful patrol of the shooting positions, lavishing personal attention on any challenges that emerged.

I had the privilege of helping Sue who fired one shot through a .38 caliber snub-nosed revolver, carefully laid the gun down, turned to me with a startled look on her face and said, “I want to go home.”

We shared a hug and some deep breathing. I could feel her heart pounding. After another hug and some comforting words she consented to try again. The snappy little revolver was painful to the web of her hand.

She tried a 9mm semi-auto and it wanted to jam because of her relatively limp grip. She still wanted to go home.

Then, Dave provided her with a .22 caliber semi-auto which she handled tentatively, then perforated the middle area of the silhouette target with the 50 rounds of ammo Dave provided.

He brought her another box and soon the target looked like she was using a shotgun at close range.

As the event concluded the students were proud to learn all had completed the $125 course successfully. Written exams were reviewed and any questions answered incorrectly were discussed.

Dave provided everyone with an hour’s free shooting range time and strongly encouraged continuous practice to develop their new skill.

To say Sue liked shooting would be stretching the truth a wee bit.

But, it was nice to watch her be part of the congratulatory toast as the six of us enjoyed dinner after a very long day.

I really enjoyed the smile on her face when, at her daughter’s birthday dinner the following day, she displayed her newly earned diploma.



That’s Instructor Stark in the small photo above and at right below as Roberta Karger’s 9mm Glock shows it’s muzzle blast on the course range.

Postscript: Sometimes folks ask why I carry. Quite simply, I am enjoying life and I refuse to be defenseless victim. Further, I treasure the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution.

________________________________________
Photographers Note: It takes more luck than skill to capture the muzzle blast. I tripped the shutter at a speed of 1/13th of a second just as I sensed Roberta was going to press the trigger--with exquisite timing. I was able to hold the camera still by leaning against the rear wall for the shot and the good depth of field was achieved by using a very wide 17 mm Canon lens.

2 comments:

Mark Meinzer said...

Excellent report about a long and satisfying day of concealed carry weapon training. I'm very impressed with the photo that show's the muzzle blast from Roberta's firearm. Looks like the work of a master photographer to me.

Who would have ever thought that this much interest could be generated from an innocent email.

Unknown said...

Good for you and Sue!! More good people prpared to defend themselves!