Thursday, December 8, 2011

CORNELIUS ANTHONY MC CAFFERTY JR
September 24, 1940 - February 17, 1969

My high school classmate and neighbor Cornelius A. (Neil) McCafferty Jr., died in combat in Vietnam, February 17, 1969.

My memory of Neil was rekindled recently when a friend shared a link to the Vietnam Wall memorial and I found his name there--even though I was hoping not to in spite of my knowledge of his tragic death.

In our high school yearbook his ambition was "To be a general in the marine corps."  In real life he served in the US Navy for 10 years and was a first class petty officer; SM1.  That's not as much rank as a general but it certainly is near the top of the list for enlisted, non-commissioned officers.

His unit awards included US Naval River Patrol Service Vietnam with a Purple Heart, the National Defense Service Medal and government of Vietnam campaign medals.

He was 28 when he died.  Already, he had given more than a third of his life in the service of his country.

Ultimately, as a casualty of hostile enemy fire, he gave it all.

May you continue to rest in peace my friend.

I hope you somehow know we will never forget.
______________________________
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall

No comments: