Wednesday, May 9, 2012


LEXINGTON INVITATIONAL TRACK MEET--

Adopted grand daughter, Mackenna Curtis-Collins (white shirt, top left) is at the start of the 1600 meter (1 mile) run in this final event of the junior high track season.

Midway through the four lap event she is shown leading the pack (left).  That's her in the background while a slower runner is about 1/3 of the track's, oval length behind her.

In the third lap (top right) however, a closing runner has begun to catch Mackenna leading to a crowd-thrilling race to the finish line.


In the lower photo the racers are about to cross the finish line.  Note the shadow of Mackenna's leading foot as it touches the white finish line while the competitor's foot's shadow is behind Mackenna's.

After a prolonged review of the official, finish line camera--the race was called a draw, both girls with times of 5:53:xx

While fans were digesting the exciting event I found my way to the shadow area under the bleachers where I could review my photos.  That's when I discovered my photo's evidence which could suggest a different race result.

Grandma and mother and other Mackenna fans huddled in my shadowy, photo viewing area then invited a distraught Mackenna to take a peek and she imediately found hope my photo's "evidence" might somehow right her horrible injustice of a tie result.

I had to wiggle out of the fray by pointing out my photo was not official, whatsoever.  It could be construed as the work of a clever grandpa whose bias in the proceedings was unquestionable.

We bid good bye and headed off to an Akron-area square dance confident Mackenna would ultimately realize life is not always quite fair.





No comments: