Tuesday, June 26, 2012


MUSINGS--
of a geriatric adolescent, of course

I ordered those four, 15 oz, liquid-filled, freezable mugs (lower left) from the Elder-Beerman Company and they arrived packaged as if they were a priceless commodity. 

The mugs retailed at about $2.50 each.

The corrugated box was about 2,940 cubic inches and the individually wrapped mugs were nestled in technologically advanced packaging that would have made a purchasing agent in somebody’s monarchy proud.

I wondered if the packaging was worth more than the product.

With my usual hypothesis that things today are done with noticeable mediocrity, this was antithetical.

I also was amused when I imagined the suits in Beerman’s PR department in their continuing quest to be considered at the top of the “green” heap of environmental friendliness while the boys in shipping were working just as hard to prove that wasn’t so with this packaging extravagance.

Ain’t life somethin’. 


No comments: