Saturday, February 16, 2013


A WELL CAMOUFLAGED GEOCACHE--

Imagine finding yourself in this sub-tropical jungle-like setting in search of a micro sized cache.  It's in the view above about 50 feet off the trail--somewhere.

"Micro-sized" means something about the size of a 35mm film can. (Older folks will remember what they look like.)

Geocachers use some form of GPS instrument to help them locate these devilish little hides.  And, GPS technology is marvelous but it often will only get you somewhere near the middle of, say, a 15 foot diameter circle.

And, that "circle" really is a cylinder stretching from the ground, or below, to somewhere above.  Folks are not allowed to bury their caches but they are sometimes found at an elevation in the trees that requires a robust climb.

While not technically "buried" I once found a cache about 100 yards back in a long, walk-through sized storm drain.

So, there you are (as in the above scene) thrashing around in challenging habitat much more suited to the local snakes, spiders and assorted other creatures that can make your day quite uncomfortable...but usually don't.

The key is to dress appropriately, make lots of noise, avoid spider webs and hope you do not corner a feral pig protecting her piglets.

Then, there are the alligators to consider.

In the above scene I was in the very-large, Oslo Road Conservation Area which stretches nearly a mile East to West between US 1 and the intercoastal waterway.  The area is laced with canals, some impoundments and miscellaneous other natural features where gators would be more comfortable than geriatric humans--or any other human for that matter.

My means of defense include but are not limited to the following:

I do carry on a fairly noisy conversation with myself from time to time whilst thumping on every hollow log that comes along with my hiking stick.  I keep a can of critter spray handy--the kind favored by your local postman and have a high quality whistle on a lanyard readily available.

I did find the cache which was hidden in the above photo.  The cache owner said it was not hidden under anything, and I believe that, but when I found it it was thoroughly concealed by Spanish Moss--which likely grew since the cache was hidden--or was used for added concealment by some well-intentioned cache looker/finder that preceded me.

That's the cache in the lower photo after I uncovered it; a bluish, plastic bug with a water-tight tube for the log stuffed in its thorax.

Here's a view of the other cache found on that day's hike:


Look about 1/2 inch down from the top center of this image.  Here's a clue:  the cache name was "Who Who".  Remember also you can click on these images and see a larger view.

Also, you need to know, this is not the view I could see from eye level.  I did the photo by holding the camera above my head.

I saw this cache with a lucky, eye-level sight line.

Then, after I thrashed my way to the cache through the thick growth of palmetto plants, I couldn't figure how to get the log out of the little owl.

...until I noticed a black wire with a small pill bottle hanging on it in the undergrowth below the owl.

*Gasp*




No comments: