Saturday, April 19, 2014


AT SEA AT NIGHT--

Our cruise ship sliced through the calm, night sea recently, somewhere northwest of Freeport, Grand Bahama Island as I leaned on the ship's rail and savored the boat deck's solitude.  The four-day party had moved inside from the pool deck and took its noisy exuberance with it.

Stars splashed their merriment through partly cloudy sky as one other couple, far aft of me, appeared to be treasuring the moment as young lovers do in such sublime circumstances.

My camera tugged at my shoulder strap reminding me it had some work to do as I pondered the water's hissing flow along the hull.

I steadied the camera on the rail, pointed down at the frothy water rolling its way in the gentle sea, and made this four second exposure.  Water travels quite a distance in that time and the camera records that movement as a silken flow.

In a burst of creative exuberance I massaged the image through editing software and a "chrome" filter--among other things--metamorphosed the image thusly:

 
Some highlights of our cruise involved my first international geocaching, a visit to Nassau's Atlantis attraction, some towel sculpture delights by our terrific cabin attendant Pedro, a photography interlude as dusk caressed the ship on that last night, and maybe a miscellaneous thing or two.

We'll tell you about that stuff over the next week or so.  Hope you stay tuned!

1 comment:

Lignocaine said...

that pic rather looks like a painting :)