Thursday, August 17, 2017



THANK YOU JESUS!

This story had its beginning in mid-July 2016 when I first attended Storyside Church (then known as CitiChurch) in Bellville with my son Brian and his wife Kate.  By then, they had been very active with this church for about 3 years.

I was overwhelmed by my experience.  That Sunday's service had a spiritual vibrancy like I had never experienced--or, even imagined.  Except for wintering in Florida I have not missed a weekly service since.

Back sometime in my childhood I was baptized and later confirmed in the Lutheran Church.  That was at St. Matthew's in Mansfield.  I like to think those lessons of catechism remained with me for the vast majority of the rest of my life.

Meanwhile I lost interest in organized religion.  I was troubled by the fact many of the world's wars were between organized religions.

I was troubled by evident conflicts between theology and science.

I was repulsed by the stories of aberrant, sexual behavior of some church leadership.

I did find spiritual solace by simply walking in a quiet woods and conversing with God.  He seemed to welcome my periodic visits.

A gentle breeze caressing tall pines can create a tabernacle far more inspirational than a structure of bricks and mortar with uncomfortable seats and a service that leaves folks out of sight of the pastor, well, dozing.

And so it went for 50 years or more.

Then a miracle began to emerge.  I discovered there were lots of books that explored my concerns.  In them I discovered answers that aroused my interest in taking a closer look at the Bible's lessons.  That nudged me into experiencing Storyside church that had captured my son's soul.

That process continued for nearly a year until last Sunday when Pastor Micah's weekly invitation to invite Jesus into my life resonated and God captured my soul.
 

No comments: