Wednesday, April 11, 2018


COMMENTERRY--

A delightful part of watching springtime birds is seeing the migrants or otherwise unusual avian visitors that wander by.   The last few days I've had a Baltimore Oriole visit.  Ordinarily they are attracted by fruity offerings at the feeders and I have offered nothing of the sort.  In fact the one I've been seeing is grubbing around on the ground with the sparrows and doves and etc. 

Maybe I should see about something more traditional to their taste.

And, if we ever get out of the frosty nights it's time to think about your humming bird feeders.  A good cleaning of them is a fine way to start and the mix they like is 1 part sugar to four parts water.

One web site makes this additional comment:

"The solution will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Please don't use food coloring, honey, brown sugar, unrefined sugar or sugar substitutes, as they can be harmful to humming birds."

*            *            *

I've been shooting handguns quite a bit recently at my safe. home locations because the manufacturer of a couple of my new ones recommends a break-in process of 400 rounds or more before they are put to work in your arsenal.

Today I was wrapping-up another segment of that shooting and walked about 35 feet to examine my target.  While doing so I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a wild turkey pacing me about 50 feet to the east without an obvious care in the world.

My guess was it had evaluated my marksmanship and decided it was in no danger.

No comments: