Saturday, March 2, 2019

A VISITOR DRESSED TO THE NINES--

Nice experiences abound here.  Shortly after watching a pileated woodpecker make it's multiple-times daily visit to my suet feeder I saw a mink with its distinct, vertically undulating gait make its way East on the ice along the face of my dam.  Probably two feet long with dark, reddish brown fur on its bow darkening toward its stern.  It's girth was about the size of a fox squirrel that hasn't missed too many meals.  It crossed over the driveway about 1/2 way from the spill pipe to the chain post and disappeared over the face of the dam.

The spill pipe is flowing robustly and I suspect my attractive visitor knows that is a good source of water and likely a source of food as winter clings here in the early Spring.  Remember, Spring, according to the rules of Bass Hollow, began here March 1st and will tantalize us until it morphs into Summer on the 1st of June.

No comments: