Wednesday, August 22, 2007

THE CAMPER ROLLS AGAIN--

Just a bit later this morning I am off on another camping adventure. This one is to my hometown of Altoona, PA; about 260 miles east of here.

The campground where I have secured reservations advertises an “Internet modem station”. I’ll find out what that means when I get there, but, at least they are striving to be technologically capable.

Posting the blog while on the road is always an interesting challenge. If their modem set-up fails me I will either, find a local Wi-Fi facility, or, copy my blog material to a jump stick then download to my Cousin Bob’s computer for the daily posting.

As usual, please be patient with what sometimes is an erratic schedule.

Events on the itinerary include a visit to Penn’s Cave, and a ride on a nearby bike trail that parallels the Juniata River through the mountains.

There also is the always fun stop at the Horseshoe Curve, an engineering marvel not completed until 1854 which opened the way for trains to haul people and cargo across the Allegheny Mountains into the country’s then developing frontier.

Remember, Christopher C., is known for bringing settlers to our eastern shore in 1492 but it took 300 years until federal officials even launched the Lewis and Clark Expedition to investigate the west.

Those mountains were a formidable barrier indeed.

So, stay tuned. I hope we both enjoy the ride.

No comments: