Saturday, December 1, 2007


PICKIN’ IN THE GARAGE—

Bellville’s version of the Grand Ole Opry happens the fourth Sunday of each month in Gary Mishey’s backyard garage. Sounds of clanking tools are replaced by the rhythms of banjos and guitars and mandolins strumming mostly country music as it should be played.

Dean of the Jam is Bill Wise, 81, framed behind his son Chip’s stringed instrument in the above photo. Both play lead guitars. Counting Logan below, Bill is now playing for the fifth generation in the Mishey family.













Gary Mishey, bass guitar
Logan Scott Mishey, 14 mos.




We’re in “G” de facto leader Jim Blackstone says and toes get to tappin’ and fingers get to pluckin’ and music rolls through the wrenches like a melodic tsunami.





June Wenger, rhythm guitar

Larry Hammond, rhythm guitar

An average of 10 to 12 musicians from a regular pool of 30 or so do this each month because music is in their collective blood. It wants to come alive as audiences wish it would. And, with this group it always does!

Jammin’ in the Garage…

Folsom Prison Blues, Your Cheatin’ Heart, Foggy Mountain Breakdown,
Ruby, The Tennessee Waltz…


…Grand Ole Opry Bellville Style.

3 comments:

Rolf said...

This was a very nice story about some very nice people. I wish I had known about this site earlier...now I have to go through the archives!
I didn't know that Mr. Wolf was old enough to be a "fogey" yet.

Terry Wolf said...

Hi Rolf: Thanks for your kind remarks and Welcome! I'm also a little confused about that "Fogey" bit.

Note my blog's subtitle; "Musings of a Geriatric Adolescent". That about describes it.

I only know one "Rolf" and he makes his living around the courthouse sometimes. Could that be you?

Rolf said...

Yes sir, that is me. Some old "Fogey" took my senior picture a couple of years ago...or maybe he was just a geriatric adolescent!
I am glad Gary Mishey emailed me about the article. Your blog is very enjoyable, and relaxing reading! Thanks again!