Wednesday, March 10, 2010

AN OLD GUY AND A NEW BIKE--

As a nod to my aging body I bought a new bicycle.

Actually, I’ve been eyeing a recumbent bicycle design for a year or so now thinking, when I get older and my upright bike is no longer comfortable the recumbent design with lawn-chair-like seating would be a good alternative.

Then during recent exercise adventures at my friend Ken Johnson’s home, I began to ride his wife JoAnn's recumbent-styled exercise machine and found my comfort and stamina were both enhanced on it compared to riding a traditional bike installed in an exercise trainer.

I pondered that observation a wee bit then launched my search.

I was rewarded when my search led to the Easy Racer models which are acknowledged as a high-quality standard of that style. My search then continued to a bike listed for sale online which turned into the one I actually bought.

Ken and I wound up driving to Xenia one recent morning to consummate the purchase and have lunch with an old bomber pilot friend of his, Don Haddock, who lives nearby.

We met with the bike’s owner and I promptly amazed myself by taking a successful spin on this new design (my first ride ever) without enduring any harm to the bike or myself. We did the deal, loaded my new treasure in the truck and headed for lunch.

When we arrived back in Bellville we noted the streets were fairly clear of winter’s ice and, since it was March 1st and the local custard stand was open, Ken on his mountain bike, accompanied me on another familiarization ride around the neighborhood, then headed through the town’s traffic to the ice cream stand.

The only downside to this purchase is—somehow, it is an acknowledgment that I have, indeed, gotten older...

...a fact that was promptly proven when I posed us for a picture beside a big snow bank with my new bike at the ice cream shop and discovered I had forgotten to put a memory card in my digital camera.

Gulp!
_________________
That forgetfulness ultimately led to the above photo in my driveway.  For you cycling afficionados the bike is a 2009 Easy Racer Sport AX (aluminum frame) model.  It enjoys upgraded, linear brakes and a titanium bottom bracket.  The rider is the old guy; author of this story.  When I sit on this thing I feel like I am astride a long, skinny Harley--with me as the engine.  Can you see my smile?

No comments: