Tuesday, July 20, 2010

COMMENTERRY--

My recent lunch purchase at the local Dairy Belle came to $5.07. I handed the young lady clerk a 10 dollar bill and, after momentarily fumbling in my pocket, a quarter.

She stared at me with a blank expression.

I inquired, “Is there something wrong miss?”

She stammered, “I’m terrible at math.”

Evidently she had wrung my amount tendered at $10 while I was fumbling for my change, then, simply could not deal with my quarter.

She stood there waiting while the other young lady clerk who was summoned to be of assistance was busy with another customer.

I said, “Miss, if I owe you seven cents and give you a quarter you owe me 18 cents in change. Do you agree?

She did, hesitantly.

I said reassuringly, “Good. Now I only owe you 5 dollars and I gave you a ten. You owe me five dollars change. Does that sound correct to you?

She actually pondered that for a moment.  Then I invited her to consult her co-worker when she was available; pointing out I would be eating in the booth right over there in case they reached a different conclusion on my transaction.

Good grief.

Here was a high school student-age person without the simplest math skills of adding and subtracting.

I was embarrassed for her so I did not ask where she went to school. But, if it has been in the local public school system, some serious questions need to be asked someone.

No comments: