Tuesday, July 27, 2010


My pal Max died Sunday morning.

I know he is gone. But, memories of his 14 years in my life are treasures seared into my brain and my heart forever.

I’ll never forget:

...seeing him watching through the deck door for me to come home and wondering how long his vigilance right there had been.

...hearing him thump his empty dish on the floor; announcing his food supply needed my attention. Right now please.

...feeling him arrive by my side when storms were approaching; just being there as my protector, of course.

...watching him turn around on one of our trails and gently scolding me for my tardy gait on one of the bazillion hikes we shared all those years.

... scratching his lazy ear. One stood up. One didn’t and it amplified his quirky smile as he went through life as if being my pal was all that mattered to him.

As I was writing this I took my bowl to the kitchen and began to set it on the floor so he could enjoy his wee bit of a treat—then tears blurred my eyes when I was stabbed with the pain of reality.

My son Brian and his wife Kate and their grown children Brit and Dane and my lady Sue all were here in the afternoon and we buried my pal right there beside one of our favorite trails in the woods.

Good by my friend.

Good by.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about Max. You'll always be able to remember your times together, be sure to smile. The relationship of a man & dog are
very strong. What they put up with and still love you is unbelievable.

Love
Denny

Traci said...

Terry I am positive no dog could have asked for a better, happier, or longer life than Max had with you. You gave him what any dog would ask for if they could. Long live the memories of Max.
Traci and Mackenna

Debora Ann said...

Loosing a special "friend" is difficult. But remember to rejoice in the moments you had with Max. Max looks like a sweetheart, I'm sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

So very sorry to hear about Max. I know you loved him as he loved you. Gary