Sunday, April 10, 2011

NOW, WHERE AM I?

I woke up this morning in a strange place.

There was an odd hum in the background and a long hallway offended my senses as I peered through gravelly eyes from my head's perch, peeking over the edge of the night's pillow.

Then, I noticed the face of a once familiar alarm clock proclaiming it to be 6:01 a.m.  Somewhere.

Realization slowly crept through my mental clouds and I remembered I was home.

The strange hum was the furnace.  Running.  That was a noise I was not currently familiar with after spending more than 3 months as a snowbird in Vero Beach, FL.  It was in the mid 80s when we left down there less than a week ago.

It was in the mid 40s this morning.

It was not yet daylight but I was happy to discover there was no snow--when I finally found the outdoor light switch.

I stood in the kitchen and stared at the coffee maker, wondering how much coffee to install, one tablespoon, or was it two?

It was like my brain was functioning in detached motion.

Some, of course, would quip that is a normal state of affairs.

Our deciduous trees remain mostly naked after their long winter dormancy.  But, you can take comfort--spring truly is headed our way.

We watched its arrival in reverse in our 982 mile drive home from Mobile, Alabama.

In Mobile we visited a 97 year young friend of Sue's and took a quick tour of the battleship Alabama.

We then stopped in northern Georgia for a quick hike atop Springer Mountain--the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.

Those stories will appear on the blog...sometime, when my recovery is more complete.

Now, I have to go find--something.

When I remember what I was looking for.

No comments: