Friday, January 26, 2007

COMMENTERRY--

Friday, Fox News was reporting voters in San Francisco had recently approved a law requiring employers to provide 9 days of sick pay per year to all workers; full time, part-time, seasonal; it does not matter.

Some workers even can be paid if they take the day off to assist an ill friend. Voters overwhelmingly approved the measure; the first of it’s kind in the nation.

Heavens! I have an even better idea. Why not just vote everyone a guaranteed, annual salary—say $150,000 per year. That way everyone could squeak by without the tiresome bother of even going to work.

Show up once in awhile just to let the boss know you care and still have the cost of your necessities met by society’s and the boss’ generosity.

Soon, some longhaired, Berkeley professor will coin a charming slogan to describe your new utopia; something like, say, “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”.

2 comments:

Brain Flow said...

We need less government. I wear my seat belt,usually wear my helment when riding my motor bike. I do not smoke. I rarely take a sick day. Maybe 4 or 5 in the last 20 years. Some I would have been paid for some not. This is America, land of the free. We are no longer free in many many areas. I do not think we need government to force the seat belt, helmet, smoking, sick pay laws upon us. The list is seemingly endless. However, we voted it in. What is wrong with that picture. Let's tackle an easy topic like peace in the Middle East, or abortion. Smirk!!!

The Boca Beagle said...

An engineer claims Marx had it wrong. The engineer says: "Use technology to provide each according to his needs."