Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I SPEAK ENGLISH—

This is the US of A and that’s our language. Period.

If you came here to live legally, fine. Learn to live in our culture. Do not expect me to adapt to yours.

I am growing extremely weary of such things as having to select “English” from a variety of choices on some electronic gadget in order to do business. Make “English” the default choice and let the foreigners do the selecting.

I avoid the local Lowe’s store. They have Spanish emblazoned on their signs-- everywhere. On my very last visit I asked the check-out lady if we would next be expected to make our purchases with pesos. She gave me an apologetic shrug. Good for her and good-bye to the bozos who sign her checks.

Now, where did I put my blood pressure medicine?

4 comments:

Bob said...

Si Senior

The Boca Beagle said...

Servimos cada uno.

Terry Wolf said...

"Bob" Is that you; Cousin Bob in PA?

"Boca Beagle" said "Servimos..."

I haven't the foggiest idea what that means; thus the premise of the post in the first place.

--tw

The Boca Beagle said...

Terry:

Servimos cada uno. = We serve everyone.

I agree with your premise.

Back in the 80's I drove the U.S. Interstate south of Tucson on a trip to the Kitt Peak observatory. The road signs were all in Spanish. I had a similar experience in Maine where all the road signs were in French.

Several years ago, I was at the NHC in Coral Gables FL. I stopped at McDonalds for lunch and all the menus were in Spanish. (no English at all) Of course everyone there spoke only Spanish.

I understand the concept of being a foreigner in my own country.