Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A BARFELYUK—

Barf.el.yuk; a Fogeyism noun, substantially less than desirable.
Barf.el.yuk.ed; verb, to treat or be treated thusly.

Yesterday Max and I were barfelyuked by the first snow flurries of the season.

When I first noticed them on our morning hike, a word of considerably less civility came to mind followed by my natural reaction, Yuk!

So, as we continued our drift along the trail and the flurries continued their gentle assault, I pondered this meteorological miasma--and this word was born.

By the time we reached the pedestrian bridge I was grappling unsuccessfully with the word as a verb in the transitive form. I quickly agreed with myself, it’s been much too long since any formal class work in English mechanics.

So, I scurried back to the computer and Wikipediaed the phrase “transitive verb”. Imagine my surprise when I not only found transitive and intransitive but ditransitive, ambitransitive, and so on.

That grammar lesson began to make my head spin.

So, I will continue to seek a semblance of correct use of the language while blogging and depend on you readers to reveal my clinkers.

Meanwhile, it will not be long, I fear, until this barfelyuking white stuff will arrive in measurable quantities.

1 comment:

TJ Wolf said...

"Bar-Fell-Yuk" = phonetic spelling? with accent on first syllable?