Saturday, November 10, 2007

COMMENTERRY—

Recently I watched a ding-a-ling load the groceries in his car, then simply push his empty cart toward the next empty parking space, when the rack for empty carts was one more parking space away.

I wondered which slimy rock he would be crawling back under that night.

Then there was this bozo I encountered the other evening, after dark, approaching me in my lane of the road with his high beam headlights blasting through my windshield.

I slowed down and pulled into the empty, opposing lane and as I slid by this mental midget I could see it was simply retrieving its mail from its rural mailbox which was at the end of its driveway, a challenging 50 foot walk from its garage.

Sure enough, after I passed it backed up and pulled into its garage; without the nuisance of having to get out and open the door—of course.

Clearly, two stellar examples of today’s Me-Me-Me genetic catastrophe.

Then, this on prescription drugs:

The clerk handed me a tiny tube of stuff the dermatologist had prescribed to treat a problem on my scalp. That will be $58.72 she chirped.

“You’re kidding me,” I gasped.

This tube would barely have contained enough grease to lubricate the latch on your watch band.

Of course, I routinely hear stories of folks who face staggering costs for their drugs; folks who sometimes are forced to choose between their medicine and food.

I don’t pretend to have any answer to the near impossible cost of medical care but, I often wonder what would happen if they locked medical, insurance and regulatory officials in a room along with a few key Congress-critters and refused to let them out until they achieve a return to sanity in all medical charges.

Then, this on more sloppy journalism:

The Detroit News reported November 9th a badly burned and beheaded body found northwest of there was that of a registered sex offender from Illinois.
The story concluded with this profound comment:

“Sorensen’s (the victim) head has not been found.

A cause of death has not been determined.”

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

No comments: