Tuesday, January 31, 2012


FROG FESTIVAL FELLSMERE FLORIDA--

I headed for the festival enjoying visions of Huckleberry Fin and his pal Tom Sawyer in their idyllic days along the Mississippi River

This festival, however, wasn't exactly a festive time for the frogs

The longest line we saw was of folks waiting for their helping of fried, frog extremities.

There were a few carnival-type rides there too but about the most exciting ride for us was the pedal-powered trip we enjoyed from our parking area to the festival grounds.  That's lady friend Sue (above) along with friends Dick and Dee Weeks arriving at the festival gate...

...whereupon we immediately commenced a tour through rows and rows of commercial tents with a wide variety of surprisingly nice products.

Sue bought two computer mice decorated with acrylic encased sea shells and Dee contributed to the carnival economy with the purchase of two nice shark-tooth necklaces.

There even was a pirate selling spiced pickles among other flavorful veggies.  He warned Sue he would have to alert the Pirate Protective Agency if she told anyone of his secret recipe.

I felt sympathetic for the folks patrolling the grounds in their frog suits on a near 80 degree, sunny Florida day.

My companions cajoled me to ride the carnival's mechanical bull; you know those contrivances you sit on like a rodeo cowboy while it bucks and spins until you fly to somewhere in an adjoining county.  They assured me they would use my cameras to take nice photos of the event.  

I carried a second camera that day with a telephoto lens hoping for some nice super-detailed photos of folks enjoying frogs.  Turned out that wasn't to be.

The enforcers of those enterprises were carefully protecting frog booths from photographers who failed to pay their $5 or $10 for a critter photo--the advertised ransom appearing to be related to the size of the critter.

We left the carnival and headed for a highly recommended, local restaurant, The Marsh Landing.  That turned into a delightful experience.  The restaurant building, now beautifully restored, began life as the home of a huge real estate business capitalizing on a Florida land boom which ultimately crashed after a huge flood then the depression in 1929.

While leaving the restaurant I shouted an "O-H..." to the gal running the adjacent gift shop.  She recognized my cue with a rousing "Ohio!"  I had learned earlier she was from Reynoldsburg.

Curious about the restaurant?  See the link below.  I was too, especially the origin of its name.  But, none of the staff I talked to, nor the many historical photos on display, nor their web page answered my question.

Regardless, I will be watching for my next opportunity to feast at that fine establishment.

Marsh Landing


No comments: