Monday, June 4, 2007

MY HYPOTHESIS--

Today’s standard of excellence is mediocrity.

(Note: In recent years I have observed a decline in the quality of many products, services, and performance in general. Postings under this title from time to time will explore this hypothesis.)

Recently I was opening a new half-gallon jug of milk. Under the plastic cap was one of those additional seals to keep scofflaws from tampering with the contents.

It had a little tab the consumer simply had to pull to remove the barrier. Yeah, right! I couldn’t budge it.

No biggie, I have a pair of kitchen pliers for such events. I grabbed the little tab and gave a tug.

Yup, the tab came off--leaving the barrier firmly intact; an experience that was not the first for this product.


Finally, surgery with a sharp knife removed the obstinate barricade.

Putting this kind of thing on the market doesn’t even rise to the level of mediocrity.

1 comment:

frststrk said...

you needed a five year old to open it