Thursday, June 21, 2007

SMALL TOWN USA—

Last Saturday, my friend Bob Patterson called to remind me the Bellville Presbyterian Church has a free, community dinner the 3rd Saturday of each month. I went—and had a delightful time. I sat across from Bob and had the pleasure of three very lively, white haired table-mate ladies to my right.

One of them knew quite a bit about my past; even mentioning my being in jail in the 1970s. She chuckled about her little fib when I gave her a questioning over-the-glasses look. I think those three might be fun to hang around with a bit.

To their right sat the Fultons, he proudly displaying his new walking stick adorned with a carved and nicely painted Bald Eagle.

My neighbors and friends up the road, Norrie and Jan Tangeman were there. They were part of the kitchen detail. Norrie stopped by to chat about my recent camping adventures. He and Jan just got their own camper and already are planning on a kayaking/camping outing in the upper peninsula of Michigan in October.

Don Palm, the ageless dean of Bellville photographers, stopped by the table to tell me about his challenges with his new digital camera. It’s exactly like my new one. I’m tickled he has made the plunge into that awesome technology.

I also shared a handshake and a nod with my old flying friend Col. Gene Yarger, a WWII bomber pilot who was active with the local air national guard unit when I was in the newspaper business years ago.

We always have a chat on such encounters but he was hurrying to catch his departing bride.

I had parked in a shady spot down by the library on this very warm evening and while walking back to the car heard music coming from the village green. So, with a short detour I was soon leaning in the shade of that large maple tree by the bandstand and enjoying the bluegrass tunes of the Slack Family.

I don’t know where they are from but there were a bunch of local folks sitting in their lawn chairs and enjoying the show.

I did too.

No comments: