Monday, February 5, 2007

COLD--

Finally, about noon today, the temperature struggled its way above 5 degrees and Max and I took our first hike since sometime Saturday. The snow crunched groaning complaints as we trudged slowly up and down the trails and through the woods.

When we got out east toward the road we left the protection of the naked trees and the cold breeze made its most serious attack. The onset of numbness was almost a pleasant pain as the skin stiffened and loss of feeling dug toward the bones.

I had to cover my face with gloved hands and walk backwards. The pond’s ice snapped an occasional crack! as it fought to expand its polar grip on the water’s surface.

We headed back up the driveway, I with my shoulders hunched, and trying to enjoy the bright sun’s harsh visual treatment as it glanced sparkles off the fresh snow.

Yet, already I could feel a hint of warmth as the annual, solar migration tries to nudge springtime toward our now-frozen hemisphere.

Meanwhile, Max proclaimed his territorial sovereignty and peed on a weed.

1 comment:

Brain Flow said...

Interesting note for the Spring time approach comment...8:30 pm. Dark at my house. A flock of Canada Geese honked as they flew by just above the tree tops. West bound.....? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Seems they are confused too. I suspect they will fly through the night to find water in the liquid state.