Thursday, March 15, 2007

COMMENTERRY--

Jekyll and Hyde

I went shopping recently and had two pleasant, face to face encounters with my fellow shoppers.

One involved an older couple I had inadvertently blocked with my cart from the shelf area they wanted to reach. We spent the next few minutes exchanging friendly comments on our mutual violations on the others’ shopping territory.

The second was a young mother encumbered with her rambunctious toddler. She had loaded her groceries and was trying to install her empty shopping cart in its snow-clad parking area. She was delighted when I relieved her of that chore.

Then, within 10 minutes, I had opposite experiences; both from drivers with less than civilized demeanors.

The first involved a lady who simply began to run the red light then waved unpleasant gestures at me when she finally yielded my right-of-way.

The second was a typically brainless tailgater.

There are those among us who, when surrounded with their own two tons of high powered, automotive weaponry, are immediately transformed into ghoulish boors.


They truly deserve the above headline’s sobriquet.

No comments: