Friday, March 23, 2007

MY PAL MAX--

The neighbors were clearing brush along a creek as my dog Max and I hiked our south trail recently. Their two dogs were romping untethered with them; one an aggressive short hair-type we have encountered before.

We managed to pass by them unnoticed and were well down the trail when I heard a ruckus behind us. I turned in time to see the nasty dog snarling rapidly toward us while Max barked several warnings, then, to my amazement launched a counterattack.

I yelled to call Max off (to no avail) while the neighbors came running through the tall weeds; realizing Max and I were under attack on our own property.

Seconds later, the attacking dog evidently realized the folly of his aggression and did a tail-between-the legs retreat while Max slid to a barking stop at the property line behind the aggressor; Max’s legs splayed and his ferocity unchallenged any longer.

We had a productive chat with the apologetic neighbors then continued our hike; Max demonstrating the jaunty air of his victory which came in complete defiance of his aging (in doggy years) 70 year old body.

I felt like a proud father seeing his young son thump the neighborhood bully.

2 comments:

frststrk said...

our dogs, some of best friends will continue to amaze us... and some folks who have never been loved by a "dog", don't realize the extent of pride we have when our pets protect us, save us, and even talk to us.... GO MAX !!!!

Terry Wolf said...

Ahhh Karen.

Always great to hear from you!

--Terry