Tuesday, March 13, 2007

MY HYPOTHESIS--

Today’s standard of excellence is mediocrity.

(Note: In recent years I have observed a decline in the quality of many products, services, and performance in general. Postings under this title from time to time will explore this hypothesis.)

Not too long ago I was at the check-out lanes of Barnes and Noble with several items in my basket. Of all the lanes available, only one was in operation and people were stacked up like cattle at the trough.

Disgusted, I went back through the store returning my items to the shelf and left the joint.

Six months later I gave them another chance. Same result. This time my purchases simply sat abandoned on the check-out counter as I left the store--after pointing out my quiet protest to the supervisory manager.

Stores with this ambivalent attitude toward customer service do not deserve our continued patronage.

Good bye Barnes and Noble.

2 comments:

Bill Neal said...

Well put, Terry. As one of the few "old school" guys around, I too am constantly frustrated by people getting almost giddy when someone else only does what is expected.

From soccer moms bitching about keeping score to waitresses that expect a 20% tip for no better service than the kid taking your money "at the first window", I think people just plain don't get it.

My ex worries about our kids grades; I want them to be valuable assets to society. That alone will give them the advantage in their adult lives.

Terry Wolf said...

Hi Bill:

Thanks for visiting the blog from time to time. I'm flattered--and appreciate your comments.