Saturday, July 14, 2007

THE BIKE TRAIL again

Permit me to introduce my cousins pictured from left, Ron Wolf and his brother Dennis. That’s me with them and our bikes as we relaxed a bit at North Lake Park recently; half way through our 27 mile round-trip ride from Bellville.

Ron likes to ride fast. I usually mosey along at a slower pace and Denny has struggled on our past rides with his mountain bike. Today, however, he showed up with an aging but racy Italian model—and he was a new man!

Naturally, with the Tour de France bike race going on in Europe now, we drew lots of comparisons between those riders and us. Admittedly though, our self aggrandizement in this regard was highly inflated. However, I am compelled to point out Denny led our miniature pace line the entire way back to Bellville, sometimes at a blistering speed--for us--exceeding 17 miles per hour.

But sibling rivalry ultimately prevailed. In the final stretch Ron pulled into the lead and enjoyed the adulation of the cheering crowds at the finish line.

Actually, the only noise at the finish line was the sizzle from our tires as Denny and I rolled across the line in 2nd and 3rd place respectively.

But, it was our version of that world-famous race.

And, I hate to tell my cousins this; but, when officials add my handicap points for being the elder rider in this event, I likely will wind up with the yellow jersey after all.

No comments: