Tuesday, July 17, 2007


SAILING GENTLY ON THE BAY--

That’s my captain Bob Eichof motoring his sailing vessel the Nan-Sea-Ann out of his docking area near Marblehead, OH Monday afternoon. The winds were very light, but with storms in the forecast for later in the day, we decided on a leisurely sail while the weather was being benevolent.

“Sail? We’re more likely to go out and drift around a bit”, he chuckled.

His 20 foot fiberglass hulled Montego is a classic labor of love. It sports a vee berth forward with a mid-ship cabin sparkling in Bob’s cabinetwork artistry. Over there on the bulkhead is a UHF 2-way radio with weather bands. On the rear bulkhead is a CD playing stereo, beside the control panel for the craft’s 12-volt electrical system.

“See that little black bag. That’s my hardly-ever-used miniature TV he,” smiled. “And over there is a solar powered, trickle charger that can maintain the ship’s marine battery. Sort of."

If you look around closely you will find the components for a functional galley—a sailor’s version; hardly recognizable as such by a pampered, shore-bound chef.

The ”pilot house” is merely a fore and aft cushioned seat within reach of the tiller and tending lines for the mainsail and the jib. “It has an autopilot?” I asked, not sure I heard correctly. Yup. I learned about that just after the demonstration of the GPS navigation unit.

While enjoying my turn at the helm I could see our speed reported by the GPS; 1 point 7 mph. I watched my heading and the wind indicator atop the mainmast while coaxing the sails into the most advantageous wind angle under Bob’s patient explanations.

I watched Bob and saw a guy at peace with things. And, he knew I understood the magic of the moment.

The motion of the water in the bay was so relaxed ants could go surfing.

And for an hour or two two old guys were able to watch life go by in slow motion.

No comments: