Tuesday, July 10, 2007

CANADA LILY-- (Lilium canadense)

I now have these spectacular wildflowers established in two areas on my land; 1) is along the south trail and 2) is in the corner of the pond near the campfire area. My #1 specimen occurred naturally while #2 was planted via a gift from local friends Fritz and Jill Ackerman.

The plant likes rich, moisture-retentive soil and mostly sun. I note it also seems to like neighbors. Mine flourish in the midst of healthy growths of meadow and property line-type weeds.

I gently prune the weeds that interfere with the individual plants receiving sunlight and I use long bamboo stakes with a loose loop of binder twine to support the tall, heavily flowered stalks.

This wildflower is slow to get established; several years to produce abundant blossoms, but, it will then propagate by sending out daughter bulbs on thick runners to produce colonies.

The delightful flowers are about 3 inches in diameter with their very distinctive, widely flared petals. Each plant can have from a couple to nearly a dozen blossoms.

Ain’t Mother Nature somethin’!


No comments: